I have a big bunch of lemon grass growing perfectly in my back yard, besides just using it for curry and sambal prawn, I guess I could use it for something else. Like this lemon grass pork skewer, just something which came into my mind while I was looking at my lemon grass and wondering what else I could make.
The pork skewer is full of lemon grass aroma and delicious. I may use ground chicken or beef for the same recipe someday. I just used what ever seasoning I have and feel might be a good match with lemon grass - nothing complicated - just be creative and follow your taste buds.
1. 220g ground pork 2. 3~4 stalks lemon grass - pre-soaked for at least 1 hour, lightly crush the end of the stalk.
Marinate : 1. 1 tsp turmeric powder 2. 1 tsp curry powder 3. 1 tsp corn starch 4. 1 tsp oyster sauce 5. 1/8 tsp salt 6. 1.5 tsp soy sauce 7. 1/8 cup of finely chopped onion 8. 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped 9. 1/8 cup chopped green onion 10. Some red chili flakes
1. Mix all the marinate ingredients and finely chop again with the ground pork until well combined. 2. Marinate for at least 1 hour or longer for better better taste. 3. Rub the marinated ground pork on the end of the lemon grass stalk. 4. Grill over the pre-heated grill at medium high heat for about 6~7 minutes for each side.
Long story cut short, I am in a hurry, just wanted to share this recipe really quick! This is one of my favorite dishes whenever I dine in seafood restaurant. I couldn't get the small fresh scallop with shell here. So, made it with the giant scallops just to satisfy my crave. :-p
1. 280g scallop (about 6pcs) 2. 30g or as needed mung bean vermicelli 3. Sauce : i. 2~3 cloves of garlic ii. 2~3 ginger slice iii.2~3 chili padi (finely chop # i~iii) iv) 1/2 tsp oyster sauce v) 1/2~1tsp tsp soy sauce or to taste vi) 2~3 tbsp water (add more if extra mung bean vermicelli is used)
4. Garnishing i. 1 tsp shao xin wine (optional) ii. 1 tsp garlic oil iii. green onion and cilantro iv. crispy garlic (蒜油酥)
Steps : 1. Boil the water in the steaming pot/pan. 2. Arrange the scallops on a bed of mung bean vermicelli in a steaming dish 3. Mix well all the ingredients # 3, and pour into the scallops. 4. Steam in high heat for 8~10 minutes. 5. Before remove from heat, add in garnishing ingredients # 4. 6. Serve warm.
It is time to update how is my very first vegetable garden going on. Bad news and good news. The bad one is about 20 of my pumpkin were killed by a pile of bugs, we didn't know what kind of bug was that, but, there were too much of them just covered up the whole patch of pumpkin and killed it.
The good news is we have about 7~9 water melon growing now!!! And more winter melon too. Yay!!!! Tomatoes are growing out there, that was accidentally planted from the seeds in the compost made from vegetable scraps and egg shells.
More pictures here!! Tomato
Winter Melon - harvest soon. The size is perfect for me to make 冬瓜盅
Tired of pizza? Lets try some calzones! It is an Italian turnover made from pizza dough stuffed with fillings like cheese, ham, vegetables or other varieties of ingredients. I had my first calzone many years ago, it was stuffed with baby spinach and cheese. I liked it so much but didn't know what was it called because back at that time, I was still very new to western meals.
I described what it looked like to Tom recently and he told me it is "calzone". I immediately checked it out from wikipedia and found that it is quite simple to make. Since I had some leftover canjun style grilled chicken, I decided to make some grilled chicken calzone with my pizza dough recipe. It turned out great. :-)
2. Filling (according to your preference) a) Canjun grilled chicken - cubed b) Grilled green pepper and onion - sliced or cubed c) some shredded cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese d) pizza sauce e) some black pepper f) some butter g) some Parmesan cheese powder
1. Pre-heat the oven at 450F 2. On the floured surface, roll each portion of the pizza dough to approx. 6" circle. 3. Spread about 1.5 tbsp pizza sauce on the half circle, leave about 1/3 edge. 4. Add in chicken, pepper,onion slices shredded cheeses, sprinkle some black pepper. 5. Fold dough over filling to form a half moon shape. 6. Seal the edge with a fork. 7. Baked in preheated oven for 30~35 minutes or until it turns golden brown. 8. Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese when serve (optional)