Friday, June 19, 2009

Stir Fried Asparagus with Sambal Prawn

Photobucket
Another common dish in the "chu char" and seafood restaurants in Malaysia. I was convinced that asparagus is only good when used in stir fry with sambal prawn.

The western restaurants here normally serve grilled asparagus. When I first came to US, I was hesitant to try it as I didn't know how asparagus tasted without chili. When I volunteered at Tzu Chi, I got the chance to know that it can be cooked together with egg too. They actually taste good off the grill or stir fried with scrambled egg.

Stir Fried Asparagus with Sambal Prawn

However, I like is stir fry asparagus with sample prawn most. I never cooked this in US before I brought my bullet blender (US version in this link - we got the one in from Malaysia with the juice attachment you can't get in the US, but it is almost the same) from Malaysia, because I was too lazy to pound the chili and the blender I got from the shop here does not cater to smaller capacity.

Photobucket


Tom is now doing better to handle belacan now! LOL!

Here's my recipe :

1. 350g tender asparagus - cut to approx. 3~4" strips.
2. 200g prawn - peeled and de-veined.
3. 1/2 medium size onion - sliced or cubed.
4. 1 tbsp vegetable/corn oil.
5. 2~3 tbsp water
6. Pinch of salt (optional - may not need it as the saltiness of the dried shrimp might good enough for seasoning)
7. Sambal - pound or blend together the following ingredients :
a) 5~6 red finger chilies - unseeded
b) 1.5~2 tbsp dried shrimp - washed and rinsed.
c) 2 cloves of garlic
d) 1 tsp prefried belacan


Steps :
1. In high heat, grease the pan with vegetable oil.
2. Add in onion, stir for few second, add sambal # 6, stir and cook for about 1 minutes.
3. Add prawn, cook for 30 seconds.
4. Stir in asparagus strips, cook for 4~5 minutes. Sprinkle some water if it is too dry.
5. Salt to taste (optional)
6. Serve warm with white rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin