Wednesday, March 11, 2009

BBQ Pork - Char Siu (蜜汁叉烧)

Photobucket

My friend Amy told me that she wanted to make some char siu bao (BBQ Pork bun). The skin of char siu bao is different than any bun else because it has to be "cracked and smiled" after steaming. The skin recipe she showed me is a bit complicated. I made vegetarian char siu bao for the wedding ceremony of a sister at Tzu Chi before. So I decided to make it again to reconfirm the measurements of my recipe.

Here's the recipe for the char siu first, I will post the skin recipe soon.

Photobucket


Ingredients :

1. 580g pork chop (about 1" thick)

Marinating sauce :

1. 1tsp fresh grated ginger
2. 1.5 tbsp Hoisin sauce (I didn't use char siu sauce because it contents red food color)
3. 3 tbsp soy sauce
4. 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce (optional)
5. 1 tsp sugar
6. 3 cloves crushed garlic
7. a pinch of five spices powder
8. 1tbsp sesame oil

Standby 1 tbsp honey for glazing.

1. Mix all the marinating ingredients in a container, rub in the pork chops for evenly coated, refrigerate overnight.
2. Let the marinated pork return to room temperature before cooking.
3. Bake 20~30 minutes for each side with preheated oven at 350F.
4. Immediately brush the honey on both side of the char siu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin