Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spicy Soy Bean Paste Pork Front Leg

Pork Leg

When my family and friends in Malaysia heard that I cooked pork leg, they were surprised and wondered if Tom would eat it. Don't worry, Tom eats everything I cook except few things - bitter melon, thousand year egg/century egg (皮蛋) and salted egg. So, if he is mean to me, probably I will add some of these ingredients in his meal to punish him! Hehehe... :-p

Pork Leg

I learned to cook this dish from my mom and slightly modify the ingredients a little bit. It is super delicious to go with rice. Sometime, I will mix the gravy with dried version of cintan noodle... wow!! I tell you....I'm drooling just thinking about how it tasted.

Pork Leg

If you worry about the fat, pick the front leg, it is usually less fatty than the back leg.

Ingredients and steps :

1. 1kg pork front leg (hot water bath and rinse)
2. 4~6 cloves garlic - crushed
3. 2 tbsp of spicy soy bean paste (辣豆酱)
4. 3~5 dried chili - wash and unseeded
5. 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
6. 500ml water, divided.
5. 1 pickled plum (酸梅子) - mashed
6. Few drops plum syrup to taste
7. 1~2 drops rice vinegar - optional


Steps :

1. Heat the non stick pot with some oil.
2. Saute the garlic until light brown,
3. Add in soy bean paste and dried chili, cook in medium heat until fragrant.
4. Add in pork leg and black soy sauce, stir over high heat until well coated.
5. Add in 250~300ml water, bring to boil, simmer with lid covered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally for better cook.
6. Add pickled plum, few drops of syrup, vinegar (optional). Add some water** and simmer for another 20 minutes or until the meat is at your desired tenderness.

**Note : adjust the amount of water to be added according to your saltiness liking. It should be a bit saltier in order to go with rice.

1 comment:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin